The mouth is an area where changes are easily seen. Oral cancers are able to be detected in their early stages. It is important to perform a self examination on a regular basis. This will help the recognition and detect oral cancer, which will increase your chances for a cure.
To perform a self examination, you will need a bright light and a mirror:
- Remove any partials or dentures.
- Look at the front of your gums and lips.
- You will need to angle your head back to inspect and touch the roof of your mouth.
- Stretch out your cheek to see the inside surface and the back of the gums.
- Feel both sides of your neck and under your jaw bone for any lumps or enlarged glands.
If you notice any changes that concern you contact our office for an evaluation.